Since the last two movies I reviewed for this blog (Fullmetal Jacket and The Shawshank Redemption) were rather lengthy dramas, I wanted my next movie to be something fluffy, light, but still culturally important. I couldn't find Top Gun though, so I decided to try and conquer another movie featuring a male actor who has become a bit of a joke in his own right. I am of course talking about the 1999 action film, The Matrix, starring America's #1 best actor, Keanau Reeves.
How it's possible I made it through this movie's hype and the greater hype of its two lesser sequels is beyond me. At least with the first three movies I reviewed, I could claim age as a factor in my ignorance. I had long stayed away from a sit down viewing of the Matrix because I had seen a five minute clip of it, and gotten a basic synopsis from a friend, and basically gathered the fact that it was some kind of post-apocalyptic cyber-future Christ allegory (that one never seems to get old). OR a special effects and stuntman extravaganza. When I finally got around to seeing this movie the other day, I had to stop myself from complaining about its high cheese factor every five minutes. I was reminded repeatedly that for its time (this movie is 7 years old already... "woah") the special effects and CGI are pretty advanced. To that I say, well so was the ballroom scene in Beauty and the Beast, and that was 15 years ago.
However, this movie is here for a reason.. There are many people who shamefully admit that they do think The Matrix is a good movie. This is not attributed in any way to Reeve's acting, although it is quite good. He plays the role of normal joe thrust haphazardly into the role of Savior quite confusedly. As it should be. What makes this movie good is how it has become such a part of the cultural landscape. Matrix references are still made today, whether it's a parody of the Alice in Wonderland-like "take the red pill or the blue pill", or a reference to the slo-motion flying through air kung-fu moves. I get a sense that while people don't automatically see these things and think "Oh, that was from The Matrix", they get a sense that it is some form of reference. Someday, when our generation has impressionable young children, who are seeing this movie for the first time, they will be turning to us and saying "oh is THAT where X-joke came from?" It's not great, but its something I suppose.
I guess what I'm trying to say is that The Matrix, for all of its cheese, is a generally well-made blockbuster-type movie which is something of a "New Classic". Go Keanau! I love you.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Jill you are soooo not alone!
I avoided seeing the Matrix myself, up until about three months ago. In fact, I was told by many friends that the movie sucked and was best watched while high and with a plate of Wings...yum.
I have to say, better enjoyed while under the influence, no doubt. I caught it a second time, for about 10 minutes, on TNT a few weeks later and couldn't understand how I sat through it the first time.
~Patrice
Post a Comment